Monday, May 14, 2007

The frustrating land of "in-between"

Kenny likes to tell people my belly has popped. This is not an entirely correct statement. Although he and I can tell that my belly has certainly gotten bigger, those who don't know I'm pregnant would never guess anything was amiss. I am stuck in that phase that every pregnant woman dreads- the "transitional" phase. This is the time when you're not really fitting into your own clothes, but you're not quite ready for maternity clothes. Thankfully, maternity clothes nowadays are made to take you through the entire nine months. So most of the pants I bought fit me, regardless of the fact that I don't yet have the belly to show for my 4 months of carrying Chicklet around. So the clothes are not much of a problem. The problem for me is that I just look like I'm out of shape--like I've let myself go in terms of physical fitness. I have what I will describe as a "pot belly". It looks like a beer gut, and I find it pretty unattractive. I'm used to having a pretty flat stomach. In fact, I had completely gotten rid of any pudge by the time of the wedding in December, and kept it off until recently. So now I walk around with my baby belly that looks like a beer belly, hoping for the day that I will finally look pregnant rather than out of shape. My doctor said it could be another month. A pregnant friend I talked to this weekend said she didn't look pregnant until 6 months! The wait is awful. At least I can look forward to the thrill of feeling the baby move sometime in the next couple of weeks. That will make the beer belly worth it!

No comments: