Saturday, September 22, 2007

Childbirth Classes: our lack of preparedness is scary...

Scarier than the full-on, graphic video of a baby being born, and scarier than the sounds the mothers in the video made as they went through natural childbirth, was the fact that when the nurse asked the class who had purchased their car seats, diapers, etc., most of the couples raised their hands. Kenny and I merely looked at each other with a mix of horror and disbelief. I spent the better part of this week freaking out about not having our house finished, not having our car seat purchased, not having Chicklet's clothes washed and ready, and just generally not having anything purchased or ready for her arrival.
So I decided today to end some of the freaking out by buying some essentials and cleaning out Chicklet's room. I went to Babies R Us and bought diapers, wipes, baby shampoo and lotion, and a whole bunch of other little things that I assume we won't be receiving at the baby shower. If they had the car seat we want, I probably would have walked out with that as well. All in all, it was a productive day. On top of purchasing the essentials, I also washed Chicklet's clothes and hung them in her room...her room that I cleaned out today as well. Now you can actually walk more than 6 inches into the room before running into a piece of furniture or an unpacked box. I'm happy to say, there are no more unpacked boxes in Chicklet's room. The furniture that is in there now will be sold soon, and hopefully one of these days we'll get the carpet put down.
I also got our crib and changing station/dresser ordered (a modern one, so Kenny is happy. Snob.). We still need to go shell out for the mattress and changing pad, which, because they will be organic, will cost four times as much as a normal mattress and changing pad. The crib bedding is ordered and on its way from California as I type, and we have received the final installations in our pregnancy/labor/childbirth library that we'll be reading quickly over the next few weeks. I feel like I have a hold on the insanity now. I can walk into our next childbirth class with head held high, knowing that although we still haven't purchased our carseat, we will at least have diapers to put on Chicklet's butt and a piece of modern furniture on which we will change those diapers.

No comments: