Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fun times at Nine

I've discovered the store that will likely be my downfall during my pregnancy- it's called Nine (get it?) and it's this really adorable maternity/baby boutique about five minutes from our house. I went in yesterday looking for belly balm (I'm going to kick stretch marks in the butt before they even know what's coming), and came out with three shirts and a newborn layette, booties and bonnet. Oops. So much for this month's budget.
The shirts were fantastic. I got two for me, and one for Kenny. Kenny's was a t-shirt that said "The Man Behind the Belly." Mine was a t-shirt that had a drawing of a pregnant stick figure and reads "Knocked Up." I also bought a really cute maternity shirt. It's early, and I won't show for another several months, but it was really cute, perfect for summer, and only $25! I may loan it to my friend Jenny before I need it, since she's already 4 months along.
But my favorite purchase of the day, even though the shirts were cute, was the newborn layette, booties and bonnet. It was funny when I picked it up, because I'd been talking to Jenny about whether she and her husband will find out the sex of their child. She mentioned that she didn't want a lot of green and yellow gifts at her baby shower. As I browsed the layettes, it really occurred to me for the first time that Kenny and I will also be seeing lots of green and yellow, since, at 5 weeks, we don't know the sex, and we aren't planning on finding out until Chicklet comes out sometime in November. So I picked up a little white layette with yellow trim, white booties with yellow ribbon, and a white bonnet that also had a yellow ribbon.
The moment I was looking forward to most was showing them to Kenny. He's been really funny with this whole Cindy-is-knocked-up thing. He revels in my exhaustion and incessant peeing, not because he likes to see me uncomfortable, but I think because it's a real sign that I'm pregnant. I even saw a smile creep across his face when a wave of nausea hit me this morning. If the seven positive tests weren't enough (yes, I did two more just for good measure- I know, it's OCD. And we all thought that was gone with the wedding), the symptoms make it hit home. I guess it's tough to believe it when I still look the same on the outside. So since he gets such a kick out of pregnancy symptoms, I figured a little layette would send him over the top. And it did. I took the booties and pinned them to the corkboard that's above his desk in the office, just as a tangible reminder so that if I'm not around to remind him with my frequent bathroom trips and sleeping, he still remembers that I'm preggers. I went and put the rest of the outfit in the room that will soon be the baby's room, and which we will no doubt paint green.

No comments: