Sunday, March 4, 2007

Telling my boss the good news

Last Tuesday, I decided I needed to tell my boss that I was pregnant just so he'd understand my frequent doctor visits. Boy, did I get him good. A few days earlier, he and I were talking about how an attorney in Dallas had been distributing to other law firms a paper I wrote on the new Texas business tax. So I asked my boss if he wanted to go to lunch, and he suggested we invite my legal assistant and our receptionist. I said that was fine, but that at some point during the day I needed to meet with him privately. He told me to come see him immediately, obviously curious as to what I had to share. So I came into his office with a serious expression, and proceeded to tell him how this Dallas attorney had contacted me about coming to their firm and was willing to double my current salary. He solemnly looked at me and said "Ok..." Then I laughed and said, "Just kidding! Actually, I'm 5 weeks pregnant!" He had some choice words for me, and then offered his congratulations. It was great.

No comments: