Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Wow. Just wow.

Kenny and I had our ultrasound appointment bright and early at 8am this morning. I was so excited all morning, and even had trouble sleeping last night. I had dreams of the baby, and even a dream that we had twins. As exciting as twins might be, I think Kenny and I both breathed a sign of relief that there was only one Chicklet in there today. So we went to it, not knowing what to expect out of the appointment. The room was dark, with a monitor next to the table I was on, and a monitor across form the table so that I could see what was going on. The technician skimmed over my belly with the wand, and then there it was! She showed us the gestational sac from pretty far out, and then zoomed in for a closeup of Chicklet. The baby pretty much looked like a peanut, with a little head and a bigger, blob-like body. We couldn't see any evidence of arms or legs, but we did see the heart beating! That was absolutely amazing. Chicklet was pretty much still, and then we saw a constant little flicker at the top of the body blob. The technician told us that we were looking at Chicklet's heart. I think Kenny and I both gasped at the same time. The heart rate was a strong 167 beats per minute, and Chicklet measures about 2/3 of an inch. So little! But then again, I remember when Kenny and I were celebrating when Chicklet hit the 1mm mark. 2/3 inches seems huge compared to that! The doctor informed us that everything looked absolutely perfect, which set my mind very much at ease.

No comments: