Monday, April 16, 2007

"Outed" at the Office

So this past Friday afternoon, I was outed by one of my co-workers. I was trying to figure out how to break the news to my office, and was pretty much ready to do so, when Amy did it for me. Several of us were standing around in the middle of the office, between Carol's and Kathy's desks, chatting. Everyone in the conversation (Amy, Jamie, Carol), except for Kathy, already knew that I was pregnant. This wouldn't have been a relevant piece of information had the conversation not taken the turn that it did. Amy starts talking to me about Notes from the Underbelly, asking whether I'd seen it. I instantly worry about where this conversation is headed. We talked about how great the show was, etc., until she says "Oh my God! It's totally your life right now!!" And she said this at what I will call "Amy Volume," which is a volume that does not necessarily involve her indoor voice. I looked just past Amy at Kathy, who is sitting at her desk acting like she didn't just hear that. I think Kathy is probably very, very good at acting like she doesn't hear a lot of things that are said within her earshot. So I waive at her and say, "Hi Kathy. I'm pregnant." So that was it. The cat was out of the bag. The we went ahead and let the rest of the office in on it, except for Jackson, who is off on vacation in Paris, and Jacque, who we're intentionally screwing with. We've been starting "rumors" about my pregnancy and baiting Jacque with them. Actually, Carol and I have been up to this for a few weeks. We'll keep it up until I'm in maternity clothes. We might still deny it, even then.

No comments: