Monday, April 9, 2007

That'll teach me to brag about not having morning sickness...

So I've been one of the very lucky few who do not suffer from morning sickness. I've breezed through almost a whole trimester with only one or two brief waves of nausea, and no vomiting at all. Until today. I woke up feeling great, rested despite our quick trip to New York. I ate a quick breakfast of cottage cheese, a piece of fruit, and some pomegranite juice, followed by my prenatal vitamin. I think that may have been my first mistake. I never take my prenatals in the morning, usually because calcium interferes with the body's intake of the iron in the prenatals, and I eat lots of calcium-rich foods for breakfast. For whatever dumb reason (dumb being the operative word for this pregnancy, apparently) I changed my routine and took the vitamin in the morning. I felt fine. I got into the car, and as we drove down the street, I started to feel a little queasy. Then the excessive salivation started in. I was afraid that if I even mentioned it to Kenny, I'd throw up. He noticed something was wrong, however, and suggested we turn back. That suggestion was also based on the fact that I was driving in the opposite direction of where we needed to be going. Chalk that one up to my missing brain. So I floor it home. So many stop signs that I've never noticed before, oh my god!!! As we pulled up to the house, I notice our neighbor walking to his car to go to work. I prayed with all of my might that I would not need to throw up in the front lawn. That would make for an interesting piece of gossip for the neighborhood. When Kenny unlocked the door, I barely made it into the bathroom before I revisited my entire breakfast and prenatal vitamin. They don't look as good the second time around. I felt better for a bit, then, as I pulled into work, started feeling sick again. I never threw up a second time, probably because Carol, one of my co-workers, came to my rescue with some sprite and animal crackers. I'm not entirely 100%, and although it is now lunchtime, I'm not really interested in lunch. I really, really hope that this will pass quickly and that this isn't payback from the pregnancy gods for my relatively easy first trimester. Maybe it's Chicklet saying enough with the pomegranite juice. One thing is for sure, I won't be drinking that stuff again. I also won't be taking my vitamin in the morning. Ever.

No comments: