Sunday, September 30, 2007

Nearing the finish line...

We had another doctor's appointment on Friday (now we're into the weekly visits, as if we didn't see the doctor frequently enough before that!) to check on Chicklet's and my status. According to the doctor, Chicklet has started her descent into the birth canal in preparation for the big day. Sometimes people refer to this as "lightening" or the baby "dropping." I wasn't really aware of it, but my legal assistant, Carol, has said for the past two days that it looks like she's getting lower. Carol accurately noticed the dropping of one of our other co-worker's babies, so I trust her on this one. I have been enjoying some easier breathing and ability to eat a little bit more at each meal. Nothing else exciting has happened in the realm of birthday preparations, other than my contractions picking up frequency and adding an element of pain every now and then. They don't really tell you about that part when you're reading up on pregnancy.
Chicklet is also weighing in at an estimated 5.5 to 6 pounds. This is good news, as long as she doesn't put on too much weight between now and her birthday and give me trouble when I'm trying to deliver her. Assuming we have another 4 weeks to go, that should put her around 7.5 to 8 pounds at birth. Of course, the doctor could also be way off on her estimate (she admited as much, too).
In terms of prepping for Chicklet's arrival, we're making strides. Slowly. We assembled the stroller (an amazing 15-minute feat!) and have that all ready for her. All of her clothes and bedding are washed and hanging in her room. The ceiling of her room is now painted, and we have purchased the baseboards. We have yet to select carpeting, but I guess it'll happen one day. At least we have the old carpet in there in the event we don't get hers in time. We also received the crib, which Kenny thinks he will be able to assemble as easily as the stroller. We'll see. I've heard about these crib-assembly nightmares. Ours doesn't have sides that lower, so at least we get to skip hardware installation on that. I can't wait to get it all put together, though. It'll look great!
We still don't have a carseat, but I suppose that will come at one of the baby showers (hopefully). I predict a last-minute babies r us run in Kenny's future if it doesn't come before that.

No comments: